Guys, we all know that highlighters were all the rage in 2016. I am by no means a beauty blogger but I definitely enjoy my cosmetics! When I started this blog (after closing down my old one) I talked about getting back into wearing makeup, being a newlywed, and pregnancy. Apparently, I have a makeup obsession when I am pregnant. This time around, the makeup bug has stuck and I haven’t stopped purchasing! This could be a bad thing.
Either way, since I skipped out on a lot of makeup buying once I had my son, I kind of started playing “catch up.” Not on purpose, but it would seem as though I can’t stop buying makeup again. Highlighters included. They are like my favorite things to look at and purchase next to lipsticks and shadows.
There’s just something fun about a good highlight! Makes you glowy without the sweat. I say that because I workout all the time and that’s usually how I get my natural glow! So, I figured I would share a few of my favorites right now. And sadly, for someone who isn’t that great at makeup and NOT a beauty guru or makeup artist….I have quite a few still sitting in my drawer!
- Tate Cosmetics – Pro Glow Palette: I figured I would start off with my absolute favorite these days and it’s by Tarte Cosmetics. I recently discovered Tarte and their wonderful products. I basically want anything and everything created by them. Everything smells delicious and the products are such great quality. The price point for their products is absolutely worth it for what you’re getting. But anyway, back to the highlight! You get 4 great highlight shades and 2 contour – 1 cream and 1 powder. I believe this is a great palette for any skin tone because there are different shades in this palette that will work well! I really don’t know much about skin tone and what pairs well with what, so I just use them all. If I like it, then good! That’s how I roll with all of my makeup of the day choices. The formulation feels so good. It’s blendable and definitely pigmented.
- Tarte Cosmetics – Rainforest of the Sea Skin Twinkle Lighting Palette Vol. 2: Guys, I love anything by Tarte, I told you! But I also love all of the Rainforest of the Sea line! You’re putting great products on your face that are also doing work. But for this palette, I JUST got it and I totally fell in love. The ONLY reason why this palette isn’t number one on my list is because it was a TAD powdery in pan. When I went to use it, it “poofed” everywhere, and I am so weird. It makes me feel like I am wasting good product when it does that. Anyone else? Just me? Okay. But I used a fan brush with this highlight as opposed to the Pro Glow Palette, I was using a more of a denser brush to get the product onto my face. So, I guess the brushes make a difference.
- Makeup Revolution – Vivid Shimmer Brick in Radiant: Radiant is the perfect name for it. This is actually the first real highlight that I purchased and I figured I would give it a shot. For 7 bucks at Ulta, why not? And it turned out to be AMAZING. I seriously loved it and used it multiple times. This is what made me want to look for more highlights out there and discover what they were all about. For a drugstore highlight, it’s perfect. And I WOULD put it at number 1 but…Tarte. Tate is the best…in all makeup. That’s obviously just my opinion.
- Urban Decay – Afterglow 8 Hour Highlighter in Fireball: Okay, this was kind of a whim when I purchased this. On my birthday, I went kind of crazy in Ulta and I couldn’t stop! My girl who works at the Clinique area, suggested a highlight and did a swatch on her hand. Then she did one on mine and I was like, “Put it in the bag.” When your husband tells you he won’t “give you crap” for how much you spend on your birthday (that was his gift to you), you don’t hold back. Anyway, it’s beautiful and totally unique in my opinion. I haven’t really seen a highlight quite like this one that I’ve liked so far. But like I said, I am just now dabbling in the highlight world. It’s got an awesome pinky shade to it with purple flecks when the sun hits it. Oh gosh, it’s beautiful. I haven’t gotten to play around with it much but the one thing that sucked for me was that it looked better on my hand than on my face, at first. It took my a little bit to get the color to transfer onto my face and look good with a brush. Maybe next time I try it, I will pat it on with my finger and blend it with a brush!
- MAC Cosmetics: Extra Dimension Skinfinish in Double Gleam: This color is GORGEOUS!!! It’s like a beautiful iridescent, gold color that makes your cheeks POP. The site says its more of a beige and I will go with that but I am assuming that because of my skin tone, it looks like more of a gold. It also is a liquid-powder highlighter that gives a luminous, well-defined finish. I would have to agree with that! I love when products are exactly how they say they are.
- Essence – Pure Nude in Be My Highlight 01: I actually think this might be the only highlight they have of the Pure Nude line. I am not too sure. I also got this one at Ulta and it’s under 5 DOLLARS. I got this one because a beauty vlogger had suggested it. I WANT to say it was Tracy and Stef from EleventhGorgeous but I am not too sure. I just know they did a $5 and under makeup video and I may have watched it. I don’t know, either way, it’s a great color and actually does look pretty nice! It IS a little chalky to me. That’s probably the only downside to it for me. But for under 5 bucks, I am not going to argue. And when this mama no longer has a job (I am getting out of the military in a few months) it looks like this will be my go-to highlight when I start running low on makeup!
Well, that’s about it for my favorite highlights right now! I hope you enjoyed it. Let me know in the comments if there are any you think I should try! Especially if they are drugstore brands because like I said, mama is going to be tight on funds in the future! I do have a few others in my vanity but I figured I would wait and maybe use some of those in a future post in a year or something. Who knows. Thanks for taking time to read my post and look at the photos! Until next time!